For the past three centuries, this site represented a big part of Larnaca’s history. At the end of the 18th century, it was the residence of the Pory family—one of the wealthiest families among the French community in Larnaca. Later, for 29 years between 1878 and 1907, it was the residence of the English Consular Governor in Larnaca. The immense residence of the Pory family and Claude Delaval Cobham was described as the most magnificent house in Cyprus, boasting a huge living room that could comfortably accommodate more than 500 people.
The house was purchased by Bishop Meletios Mataxakis in 1914, in order to facilitate the Pancyprian Larnaca College from 1915 to 1932. The College offered 5-year courses and technical studies for primary school graduates from all over Cyprus.
In 1950, D. Dianellos, a factory manager, bought the building in order to help the poor and orphaned students by giving them a roof over their heads and an education. In 1962, he renovated the space, turning it into the Dianellios Technical School (1962-2010). For more than 50 years, many generations of high school students in Larnaca had the chance to study a profession and prepare for their university studies. In 2010, the building was declared as inappropriate resulting in the abandonment of the school.
The Municipality of Larnaca offered the Dianelleios Educational Foundation a governmental piece of land in exchange for Dianelleios Technical School. The Municipality envisioned using the site as an educational centre. The exchange was never finalised, however, because the economic agreement between the bishopric and the Municipality was never settled.
Research and text by Elia Neophytou
1700 House of the French family Pory cca. 1700
2018 Technical school of Larnaca 1962-2010
2018 Bishopric of Larnaca
Form of government
2018 Presidential Republic (Republic of Cyprus)
Spatial Planning Agency
2018 Ministry of Interior
Type of heritage and protection
2018 Heritage with no protection