The yard of St Sophia (Selimiye) and St Nicolas church (Bedestan) in Nicosia was used as the main trading place in Nicosia during Venetian rule (1489-1570) in Cyprus. People from Nicosia entered the walled city to sell their products and textiles, using the area for their weekly local market. Due to population growth and its rising popularity, the market became a permanent fixture and people from all around Cyprus travelled to Nicosia in order to sell their goods or buy products at the Bandabulya market.
Bandabuliya market was built between 1930 and 1932, during the British occupation. It was the main covered municipal market in Northern Nicosia. In the bazaar, people could find everything from fresh fruits and vegetables to meats and other products. It was the most crowded and significant market in Nicosia. It wasn’t only used as a market; it was a public space where the locals could gather and take their kids for ice cream on the weekends.
In the early 1970s, due to the Cyprus conflict, new residential areas started to be built outside the walled city. Gradually, the market started to be neglected by the locals. Over the years, the shops closed down and the building became structurally unsafe. In 2010, the Bandabuliya market closed down. With the support of the UNDP-PFF, it was renovated and re-opened in June 2012 with 77 stalls for sellers, a café, bookshops and a small theatre for performances.
Researcher Elia Neophytou
Form of government
1932 Colonial Government (British Empire)
2018 Presidential Republic (Republic of Cyprus)
Spatial Planning Agency
Type of heritage and protection
1932 Local monument
2018 Local monument
Interview with Costas Georgiou
Interview with Evren